So this curse/wowi/wowmatrix thing has gotten a bit out of hand. It's pitting technical people (addon authors, site administrators) against non-technical users (addon consumers).
The one thing that people don't get is the cost of bandwidth involved. I think I've come up with a way for that might satisfy everyone.
I want to build an addon hosting infrastructure built entirely on Amazon AWS. Here's sort of what I envision:
- EC2 for hosting a web frontend/gateway to the site.
- All the addons are hosted on S3
- People must have an S3 account to access the addons
- Billing is done to the downloader's S3 account
- Alternately, you could use devpay
Then we would see how much people think bandwidth is "free"
I need to flesh it out more and actually "design" it.